OK, here’s the important legal stuff. CaptainCon is, first and foremost, about having a very fun weekend with like-minded people playing lots of great games. We’ve worked very hard to get to this point and we want everyone who attends to be fully invested in having an enjoyable time at something we can all be proud of. In order to do that, it’s important to put a few rules in writing so that we’re all clear and on the same page.
Harassment Policy: We can’t say this any plainer – we take any harassment of attendees at CaptainCon very seriously. Any harassing behavior will not be tolerated and will get you expelled from the convention at best or reported to appropriate law enforcement authorities at worst. What counts as harassing behavior? It includes verbal harassment, stalking, lewd comments, unwanted physical contact, threats of violence, or anything else that a reasonable person would find inappropriate in a social setting or if his/her grandmother was the target of the behavior. We reserve the right to immediately revoke membership passes to CaptainCon in all cases, and while our crew will personally review all reports, any decision made will be final.
If you feel threatened at CaptainCon, or witness a situation that you think may be a problem, it is your responsibility to immediately report it to a CaptainCon volunteer or other member of the crew. Alternatively, you can go directly to the registration booth and do so. We want to help you, so you need to make us aware of anything that happens that concerns you.
Universal Convention Rules: The goal of CaptainCon is to help you have a great time with as few restrictions as possible, but there are a few basic rules that have to be followed:
- Your badge must be visibly worn at all times when in convention areas. You’ll not be allowed to participate in any convention events without having a badge and you may be asked to leave the convention if you don’t have a badge on. If you lose your badge, we will provide a one time only replacement at the registration table for a $5 fee.
- Single-day badges are only valid on the stated day. Your one-day badge for Friday technically expires at 1 minute after midnight on Saturday morning but we won’t bother you until after 6am because we’re nice guys like that and we’ll be asleep. Don’t push your luck though.
- We cannot offer refunds on badges to CaptainCon. Quite frankly, we’re sinking everything raised in badge fees into making CaptainCon awesome and don’t have anything to refund you with. However, we understand that sometimes plans change. If you email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) before midnight on January 15 we can transfer your badge to someone else’s name if you can’t make the boat. There is no charge for this.
- Dealers/patrons/guests will automatically be registered for the convention and receive a 3-day badge to participate in events. Contact our crew to arrange for badges for your booth helpers.
- Organized events (tournaments, game-specific painting competitions, etc.) are set up and run by volunteers. Please respect them by respecting the rules they set up for their events as they have final call on what happens within their event. You can report problem event organizers to our crew (as they can report problem players) but don’t expect us to force a tournament judge to take you back into his event if you’ve been booted for unsporting behavior or similar.
- If you’ve got flyers or promotional materials that you’d like to distribute at the convention, these must be reviewed and approved by us before you do so. We’re pretty easy going and will likely approve almost everything, but we reserve the right to prohibit blatantly offensive material or similar. If we haven’t approved it in advance, our crew will likely remove the materials and you may be asked to leave.
- CaptainCon is an around-the-clock gaming experience in a great hotel. We’ll have crew members around keeping an eye on things, but when it comes down to it your personal security and the safety of your property is your responsibility. CaptainCon and its staff are not responsible or liable for any loss of items or property or the physical safety of attendees, volunteers, vendors, or guests. However, we do maintain a “Lost and Found” area and will do our best to help reunite you with any lost property if at all possible so come to the registration area and let us know if you have a problem.
- Any person(s) found stealing will be detained, and the police will be notified. So, just don’t do it. Us honest pirates take a dim view of thieves.
- Throughout CaptainCon you will find yourself at some time or other in front of a camera. You’re in a public place doing public stuff. CaptainCon reserves the right to use the likeness of any volunteers, attendees, guests, or vendors in video or still images or audio recording for promotional purposes. By registering or volunteering for CaptainCon, you are consenting to our use of your likeness for such promotional purposes.
- Outside food and drink – The short version is please patronize the hotel concessions tables, restaurant, and (if you are of age and inclined) the bar. The hotel is pretty relaxed on the subject of outside food and drink, but it does help the convention look good when the hotel sells lots of food. If we look good, we can negotiate good deals on even space pricing which helps us keep the badge costs low. Regardless of what you eat/drink, please do so responsibly – clean up your trash/empties, don’t give alcohol to minors, don’t get so drunk you become a housekeeping or medical emergency. Seriously, the hotel would have to throw you out and we wouldn’t be able to get you back in. More importantly, we want to be respectful guests of our host hotel because we don’t want CaptainCon developing a bad reputation – the hotels talk to one another after all.
- Finally, remember that CaptainCon reserves the right to revoke convention badges and have any person(s) removed from the convention/hotel should the need arise. We’re hopeful that the need won’t arise, but we’ve got to put it out there just in case.
And now for the really fine print:
All CaptainCon Attendees shall protect, defend, indemnify and hold harmless CaptainCon and New England Privateers LLC, its affiliated corporations, and their respective officers, directors, shareholders, agents, representatives, and employees from and against any and all costs and expenses, damages, claims, suits, actions, liabilities, losses, and judgments including, without limitation, attorneys’ fees and legal expenses, based on, arising out of, or in any way related or connected with the Convention or any other matter or activity directly or indirectly related to the Convention, including but not limited to libel, slander, disparagement, defamation, copyright infringement, invasion of privacy, piracy, plagiarism, or infringement of any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property right of any third party. This obligation shall continue beyond the length of the convention.